Jane Green is the best selling author of such titles such as her latest – Dune Road, The Beach House, Second Chance, and Swapping Lives just to name a few. Now, the wonderful people at Penguin Canada asked me to send in a few questions, and this is what she had to say…
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? Being at home, on a beautiful summer’s night, surrounded by family and friends in the kitchen, and cooking up a storm, preferably with vegetables picked straight from the garden.
- Which person, living or dead, do you most admire and why? Right now I’d have to say Barack Obama, for overcoming the odds.
- Who are your favorite writers? And which ones would you want to meet living or dead and be able to ask one question, and what would it be? I love Dani Shapiro, Ann Patchett, Jonathan Tropper, Patrick Gale, Armistead Maupin. I would love to have met Dickens, and quizzed him about his prescience, and his themes of how a man can go from having nothing, to everything,to nothing again in a heartbeat.
- If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be? A person who is hopefully further along the karmic path than I.
- If you were able to choose what you would be able to come back as, what would you choose? A cat, and preferably one who belongs to someone like me.
- Which talent (besides writing) would you most like to have? I have always wanted to play the piano, but have neither the time nor the patience to take the amount of lessons required for me to play in the way I would like.
- During your younger years, you quit college. Was there something about the whole college experience of something personal that made you quit, and do you think it has affected your career at all? I was too immature for college, and too irresponsible. I was far more interested in the fact that I was away from home for the first time, and able to party to my heart’s content. Having said that, I do not regret not finishing my degree, and often notice how many more creative types do not do well in stringent academic environments.
- You are originally from the UK. In a perfect world, if there was anything at all that you would want from there in the US, what would it be? France, Italy and Spain just a hop across Long Island Sound. Failing that, a good BBC drama series on a Sunday night.
- Have you thought about writing any other type of genre as a writer, and if you have, what type? I have attempted more of a mystery with Dune Road. Although I enjoyed it as an exercise, I found I am not, sadly, a natural. I consider myself extraordinarily lucky to have found my voice very early, and I continue to be interested in people, emotions, and how they find happiness. I think I shall just stick to doing what I do best.
- Who are your heroes in real life? My husband, who is the kindest, most gentle and patient man I have ever known. I still cannot believe that I found him, and the peace and serenity that is our marriage
So THANK YOU Jane for answering my questions, and if you are a fan of her work be sure to check out her site for more postings, and tidbits – Jane’s Website